This print from 1844 shows an exterior view of the flank of a Gothic-style funeral chapel built in 1836–39 for Laurel Hill Cemetery, near Philadelphia. In the 1830s, a group of influential Philadelphians wanted to establish a rural cemetery that would be naturalistic, serene, and in genteel seclusion. They settled on Laurel Hill at 3822 Ridge Avenue, the former estate of merchant Joseph Sims. The area had rocky bluffs and spectacular views and was located about six kilometers from the city center. The chapel and cemetery were designed by Scottish-born architect and landscape designer John Notman (1810–65). This print was produced by the lithography firm Pinkerton, Wagner, & McGuigan. The firm mostly produced book and periodical illustrations and conducted early experiments with chromolithography. This print was published in the Guide to Laurel Hill Cemetery, printed by C. Sherman in 1844.
Lithography of Pinkerton, Wagner & McGuigan, Philadelphia
Type of Item
1 print : lithograph ; 18 x 27 centimeters
- Digital catalog number: POS 102
Last updated: October 30, 2015