Church of the Nativity


This lithograph from circa 1844 shows an exterior view of the Gothic-style Episcopal Church of the Nativity, located in Philadelphia at the northwest corner of 11th and Mount Vernon Streets. The church was completed in 1846 after the designs of architect Napoleon Le Brun (1821–1901). This image is also found in the collections of the Historical Society of Pennsylvania, where a caption on recto reads: “This Church is to be built of stone, is 50 by 80 feet exclusive of the tower. It will cost $9,000 and seat without side galleries 600 persons. Subscriptions for its erection will be gratefully acknowledged by the wardens and vestry. Brethren will ye not aid as God has prospered you in extending the Gospel in the Church?” This lithograph was published by Frederick Kuhl (born circa 1812), a printer who frequently worked with the artist, Augustus Kollner (1812–1906), in the early 1840s. Born in Germany, Kollner began his career there before moving to Paris and then to the United States in 1839. He came to Philadelphia in 1840 and quickly established himself as a distinguished artist, etcher, engraver, and lithographer.

Last updated: October 30, 2015