This print is an exterior view of the abolitionist meeting place and adjacent buildings at Sixth and Haines Streets in Philadelphia. Several pedestrians stroll the sidewalks. A carriage and horse-drawn cart pass by on the street. The hall, erected in 1838 as an arena for "free discussion," was set aflame by hostile mobs on May 17, 1838, after three days of dedication ceremonies and services involving both free blacks and white abolitionists. The ruins of the building continued to stand until the Odd Fellows Society built a hall on the lot in 1846. The illustration has been attributed to John Caspar Wild (circa 1804–46), a Swiss-born artist and lithographer who produced paintings and prints of Philadelphia and other American cities. It was probably printed by the firm of Wild & Chevalier. The print was published in Samuel Webb's History of Pennsylvania Hall (Philadelphia, 1838), the last page of which contained an advertisement for a limited supply of larger unframed versions of the plate to be sold at the Anti-Slavery Office, located at 29 North 9th Street, Philadelphia.
Lithography of Wild & Chevalier, Philadelphia
Type of Item
1 print : lithograph, hand-colored ; 15 x 21 centimeters
- Digital catalog number: POS 557
- Philadelphia on Stone Biographical Dictionary of Lithographers, http://www.librarycompany.org/pos/posdictionary.htm.
- John Caspar Wild, Philadelphia on Stone Biographical Dictionary, Library Company of Philadelphia, http://www.lcpdigital.org.
Last updated: January 8, 2018