This lithograph shows the view looking northeast from the intersection of Dock, Third, and Walnut Streets in Philadelphia to the Merchants' Exchange. Built between 1832 and 1833 to the designs of William Strickland (1788–1854), the exchange functioned as a commercial and financial hub and post office and was the first large central building in Philadelphia for the conduct of business. Men are seen walking, carriages are in the streets, and a horse-drawn omnibus has arrived at the front of the building. Fashionably dressed women stand on the corner across from the exchange. The print also shows the Girard National Bank (formerly the First Bank of the United States) in the background. The print is by George Lehman (circa 1800–1870) a Swiss-born landscape artist, engraver, and lithographer, who in 1824 immigrated to the United States with his family, several of whom were also stonecutters.
Lehman & Duval, Philadelphia
Type of Item
1 print : lithograph mounted on paper ; 20 x 29 centimeters
- Digital catalog number: POS 579
- George Lehman, Philadelphia on Stone Biographical Dictionary, Library Company of Philadelphia, http://www.lcpdigital.org.
- Philadelphia on Stone Biographical Dictionary of Lithographers, http://www.librarycompany.org/pos/posdictionary.htm.
Last updated: January 8, 2018