Philadelphia Arcade. Joseph L. Moore, Dealer in Fancy & Staple Dry Goods
This lithograph by George Lehman (circa 1800–70) shows the south front of the Philadelphia Arcade, which was designed by John Haviland and erected in 1826−27 on Chestnut Street between 5th and 6th Streets. Joseph L. Moore was a dealer in fancy and dry goods in New York, and this advertisement is for his Philadelphia branch, with a separate section for selling wholesale. The legend says that the store “is constantly receiving from New-York auctions every description of goods in his line which will be sold at very reduced prices…. Country Merchants are respectfully invited to call and examine before making their purchases.” Philadelphia in the 1830s had been called “the Athens of America” because of its Greek Revival architecture. The seat of the federal government had moved to Washington and New York City was becoming the country’s financial capital, but Philadelphia remained America’s cultural center as well as home to many wealthy citizens. George Lehman (circa 1800–70) was a Swiss-born landscape artist, engraver, and lithographer, who in 1824 immigrated to the United States with his family, several of whom were also stonecutters.
Childs & Inman Lithographers, Philadelphia
Title in Original Language
Philadelphia Arcade. Joseph L. Moore, dealer in fancy & staple dry goods, corner of Pine & Water Streets New-York
Type of Item
1 print : lithograph mounted on paper ; 18 x 27 centimeters
- Digital catalog number: POS 572
- E.L. Carey and A. Hart, Philadelphia in 1830−1: or, A Brief Account of the Various Institutions in this Metropolis. Forming a Complete Guide for Strangers and a Useful Compendium for the Inhabitants (Philadelphia: James Kay, 1830).
- George Lehman, Philadelphia on Stone Biographical Dictionary, Library Company of Philadelphia, http://www.lcpdigital.org.
- Philadelphia on Stone Biographical Dictionary of Lithographers, http://www.librarycompany.org/pos/posdictionary.htm.
Last updated: February 26, 2014