Indian Queen Hotel


This advertising print from 1831 depicts the three-and-one-half story Indian Queen Hotel, located at 15 South Fourth Street in Philadelphia. The hotel was operated by Horatio Wade, as indicated by a placard seen here above the door. Wade remained the proprietor from 1831 until 1833. In this view, elegantly-dressed guests enter the building, converse on the sidewalk, and rest and read inside near the windows on the first floor. On the sidewalk, well-dressed pedestrians stroll past and an African American hotel porter pushes a wheelbarrow with luggage. The Indian Queen Hotel was established in 1771. The building was altered several times before being razed in 1851. Until the mid-19th century, the hotel was incorrectly identified as the site where Thomas Jefferson wrote the Declaration of Independence. This lithograph was published by Childs & Inman, a partnership between Philadelphia engraver and lithographer Cephas G. Childs and New York portrait painter Henry Inman, which was one of the earliest important lithographic firms in Philadelphia. The partnership was active between 1830 and 1833.

Last updated: December 29, 2015