A View of the Fairmount Water Works with Schuylkill in the Distance. Taken from the Mount
This hand-colored lithograph from around 1838 shows a view looking northwest from the Fairmount neighborhood in Philadelphia; it prominently features the Fairmount Water Works on the Schuylkill River, including the engine house, millhouse, race bridge, and mound dam. Bushes, trees, and rocks dominate the foreground. Visitors stroll on the grounds near the engine house and on the promenade of the millhouse. On the right, a man stands in a gazebo on the partially-visible mount. The house of the superintendent of the Schuylkill Navigation Company is on the wooded west bank, across from the canal lock. On the river are sailboats, a rowboat, and two teams of scullers practicing near the docks adjacent to the waterworks. Two other buildings are visible on the east bank of the river. A twilight sky forms the horizon. The Fairmount Water Works were originally built between 1812 and 1822 after the designs of Philadelphia engineer Frederick Graff (1817–90).
J. T. Bowen, Philadelphia
Type of Item
1 print : lithograph, hand-colored ; 37 x 54 centimeters
- Digital catalog number: POS 797
Last updated: January 8, 2018