A View of the Fairmount Water Works with Schuylkill in the Distance. Taken from the Mount
This 1838 print shows a view from the Fairmount neighborhood in Philadelphia, looking west toward the Schuylkill River, and prominently features part of the Fairmount Water Works. Several elegantly-attired visitors traverse the site. In the foreground, individuals, including a couple, descend a walkway that leads to the gazebo on the mount. Within the pavilion, a number of men and women enjoy the vista seen from over the roof of the millhouse. A figure adorns the top of the open air gazebo. Individuals descend the walkway and stairs that lead from that observation deck and more visitors stand in the doorways of the partially-visible engine house. To the far right, past the millhouse, the mound dam and another gazebo are visible. On the west bank, the house of the superintendent of the Schuylkill Navigation Company stands across from the canal lock. A few buildings and several trees complete the landscape. In the river, a man fishes from one of a few rock formations, sailboats glide, waterfowl swim, and three teams of scullers practice near docks adjacent to the waterworks and bordering the east bank of the river. The sun peeks through a cloud visible on the horizon. The Fairmount Water Works were originally built between 1812 and 1822 after the designs of Philadelphia engineer Frederick Graff (1817–90).
J. T. Bowen, Philadelphia
Type of Item
1 print : lithograph ; 34 x 54 centimeters
- Digital catalog number: POS 796
Last updated: August 19, 2015