Policy of the Uganda Mission


Policy of the Uganda Mission is the report by J.J. Willis (1872–1954) that he presented to an Anglican Church congress in July 1912, the same year that he became the second bishop of Uganda, succeeding Alfred R. Tucker. The report begins with an overview of the area, population, and the church’s missionary policy in the six provinces of the Diocese of Uganda. This is followed by sections on church organization, education, discipline, finance, and the role, both positive and in some respects problematic, of European settlers in Uganda. The report emphasizes the importance of local self-government of the Ugandan church and central role of trained, native Ugandans to promote its growth. Willis served as bishop of Uganda until 1934, when he returned to England, where he became assistant bishop of Leicester. The report is from a bound compilation of ten documents relating to the early history of the Anglican Church in Uganda in the library of Uganda Christian University at Mukono, near Kampala. The university was founded in 1997 by the Anglican Church of Uganda and incorporates Bishop Tucker Theological College, founded in 1913.

Last updated: January 10, 2014