Description of Inlet of the Kingdom of Angola
This 17th-century manuscript map is an early depiction of the harbor and city of Luanda, on the coast of Angola. Founded by the Portuguese in 1575, Luanda became the administrative center of Portuguese rule in Angola in 1627, one year after this map was made. The port of Luanda was also the center of the Angolan slave trade, controlled by the Portuguese Empire, and which is estimated to have supplied around one-quarter of all African slaves sent to the Americas.
Title in Original Language
Descripçam da Barra do Reino de Amgolla
Type of Item
1 manuscript map : color ; 43 x 110 centimeters
Last updated: August 27, 2013