Church of St. Nicholas (1705), Southwest View, Nyrob, Russia
This southeast view of the Church of St. Nicholas in the town of Nyrob (northern part of Perm' Territory) was taken in 2000 by Dr. William Brumfield, American photographer and historian of Russian architecture, as part of the "Meeting of Frontiers" project at the Library of Congress. Situated near the Kolva River some160 kilometers north of Solikamsk, Nyrob is first mentioned in historical sources in 1579. Because of its remote location, the settlement was chosen in 1601 by Tsar Boris Godunov as the place of exile for the boyar Mikhail Nikitich Romanov, nephew of Anastasia, the beloved first wife of Ivan the Terrible. In 1602, the boyar died from harsh treatment in Nyrob. With the founding of the Romanov dynasty in 1613, following the "Time of Troubles," the grave of Mikhail Nikitich Romanov became a venerated site with two log churches dedicated to the Epiphany and to St. Nicholas. The church of St. Nicholas was rebuilt in brick in 1704 and consecrated in 1705. It is a remarkable example of florid ornamentation in design, from the large window surrounds and the arcaded cornice to the drums beneath the five onion domes. A one-story apse extends on the east and a refectory on the west. The church interior, damaged during the Soviet period, was covered with wall paintings in 1722-25. At the time this photograph was taken, the church was being restored for use as a place of worship.
Type of Item
1 slide : color ; 35 millimeter
Last updated: July 28, 2017