Passover Haggadah


This Haggadah Shel Pesach (Passover Haggadah) contains the Hebrew and Aramaic texts that are read and sung on the first evening and, in many households in the Diaspora, on the second evening of the Passover festival. These texts often are richly illuminated and decorated with miniatures. This manuscript from Tegernsee Abbey, a former Benedictine monastery located on the Tegernsee in Bavaria, contains 23 miniatures. The manuscript also contains a very polemical commentary in Latin from a Christian point of view, written in 1492 by the Dominican Erhardus, who clearly possessed some knowledge of Hebrew. The presentation of the text and the artistic style indicate that the manuscript originated in Southern Germany or Bavaria in the second half of the 15th century. After the dissolution of the monastery in 1803, the Haggadah was transferred to the Munich Court Library, the predecessor to the Bavarian State Library, where it is now preserved.

Commentator for written text

Publication Information


Title in Original Language

הגדה של פסח

Type of Item

Physical Description

36 sheets, parchment : illustrations ; 29 x 23.5 centimeters


  • BSB Shelfmark: Cod.hebr. 200

Last updated: October 18, 2012