The University, Kiev
This view of Kiev University of Saint Vladimir (now Kiev National Taras Shevchenko University) is from Souvenir of Kiev, an early 20th-century album showing the main sites of Kiev, the capital of Ukraine and at that time one of the most important cities of the Russian Empire. The university was founded in 1834. Alexander V. Beretti, professor of architecture at Saint Petersburg Academy of Arts was the architect who designed its main building, completed in 1842. The monumental four-story building in the Russian classical style, with a central portico and eight Ionic columns, sits on former wasteland on top of a hill and has become one of the most important landmarks of the city. Its dominant position significantly influenced the development of Kiev’s architectural layout. The rectangular building is more than 144 meters long on the entrance front and surrounds a central courtyard. It is painted red, with the capitols and bases of columns painted black, the colors of the stripes on the Order of Saint Vladimir. This image shows the university’s main façade on Vladimirskaya Street. The 25 views in Souvenir of Kiev are collotypes, made using a chemically-based printing process widely employed before the invention of offset lithography.
Title in Original Language
Type of Item
1 photomechanical print : collotype
Last updated: February 29, 2012