Museum Garden, Carthage, Tunisia
This photochrome print is part of “Views of Architecture and People in Tunisia” from the catalog of the Detroit Photographic Company. It shows the garden of the Musée Lavigerie in Carthage. Carthage, on the Gulf of Tunis, was founded by the Phoenicians in the ninth century BC. It became a great civilization and Mediterranean trading empire before being destroyed and later rebuilt by the Romans. The archaeological site there is inscribed on the UNESCO World Heritage List. The building that housed the Musée Lavigerie was originally a seminary and is now the National Museum of Carthage. The Musée Lavigerie, named for the French missionary archbishop, later cardinal, Charles Martial Allemand Lavigerie, held the findings of the excavations made by Père Delattre. Alfred Louis Delattre, a French archaeologist and chaplain, founded the museum in 1875, became its director, and wrote major works on Carthage and its history. The print depicts the garden shared by the seminary and museum. The Detroit Photographic Company was launched as a photographic publishing firm in the late 1890s by Detroit businessman and publisher William A. Livingstone, Jr. and photographer and photo-publisher Edwin H. Husher. They obtained the exclusive rights to use the Swiss "Photochrom" process for converting black-and-white photographs into color images and printing them by photolithography. This innovative process was applied to the mass production of color postcards, prints, and albums for sale to the American market. The firm became the Detroit Publishing Company in 1905.
Detroit Photographic Company, Detroit, Michigan
Type of Item
1 photomechanical print : photochrom, color
- United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO), World Heritage Centre, “Archaeological Site of Carthage.” http://whc.unesco.org/en/list/37.
Last updated: January 30, 2017