Pertevniyal Valide Sultan Camii, Aksaray, Constantinople, Turkey
This photochrome print of the Pertevniyal Valide Sultan Mosque in the Aksaray neighborhood of Constantinople (present-day Istanbul) is part of “Views of People and Sites in Turkey” from the catalog of the Detroit Publishing Company (1905). Construction of the Pertevniyal Valide Sultan Mosque, also known as the Aksaray Valide Mosque, began in 1869 by order of Sultana Pertevniyal (1812–83) and was completed in 1871. It is thus one of the last mosques to have been built in Istanbul during the Ottoman period. The mosque was designed by the Armenian architects Sarkis and Hakob Balyan, who were also responsible for some of the late-Ottoman palaces along the Bosporus. Sultana Pertevniyal was wife of Sultan Mahmud II (1789–1839; reigned 1808–39) and the mother of Sultan Abdulaziz (1830–76; reigned 1861–76). The tomb of Sultana Pertevniyal is located in the mosque. The caption on the photograph incorrectly identifies the structure as the Laleli Djami (Laleli Camii, or Tulip Mosque), a much older mosque located in a different part of the city.
Detroit Photographic Company, Detroit, Michigan
Type of Item
1 photomechanical print : photochrom, color
- The Detroit Photographic Company was launched as a photographic publishing firm in the late 1890s by Detroit businessman and publisher William A. Livingstone, Jr., and photographer and photo-publisher Edwin H. Husher. They obtained exclusive rights to use the Swiss "Photochrom" process for converting black-and-white photographs into color images and printing them by photolithography. This innovative process was applied to the mass production of color postcards, prints, and albums for sale to the American market. The firm became the Detroit Publishing Company in 1905.
- Print no. "6404".
Last updated: January 8, 2018