The Golden Horn, Constantinople, Turkey
This photochrome print of the Golden Horn in Constantinople (present-day Istanbul) is part of “Views of People and Sites in Turkey” from the catalog of the Detroit Publishing Company (1905). Chrysokeras, Greek for the Golden Horn, was the name for this inlet of the sea already in Byzantine times. The waterway is 800 meters across at its widest point and 7.24 kilometers long, forming one of the finest natural harbors in the world and joining the Bosporus just where it enters the Sea of Marmara. In Byzantine times, the city of Constantinople and its harbor were defended by walls along the shoreline and a chain across the entrance to the Golden Horn. The chain was breached several times over the centuries, and finally in 1453 by the Ottoman sultan, Mehmed II, who in that year conquered Constantinople, ending more than a thousand years of Christian rule.
Detroit Photographic Company, Detroit, Michigan
Type of Item
1 photomechanical print : photochrom, color
- The Detroit Photographic Company was launched as a photographic publishing firm in the late 1890s by Detroit businessman and publisher William A. Livingstone, Jr., and photographer and photo-publisher Edwin H. Husher. They obtained exclusive rights to use the Swiss "Photochrom" process for converting black-and-white photographs into color images and printing them by photolithography. This innovative process was applied to the mass production of color postcards, prints, and albums for sale to the American market. The firm became the Detroit Publishing Company in 1905.
- Print no. "16559".
Last updated: September 27, 2013