Byzantine Wall near Irdikale, Constantinople, Turkey
This photochrome print of the Byzantine wall near Irdikale, Constantinople (present-day Istanbul) is part of “Views of People and Sites in Turkey” from the catalog of the Detroit Publishing Company (1905). The ruins of the wall of the ancient Greek city of Byzantium run alongside the Yedikule Gardens in present-day Yedikule, Istanbul. Throughout its history Constantinople was known for its impregnable walls. In 324 AD, the Roman emperor Constantine captured Byzantium, renamed it after himself, and in 330 proclaimed the city the capital of the empire. Constantine constructed a new wall, known as the Constantinian Wall, to encompass a larger area and to strengthen the city’s defenses. To defend against attacks by the Goths and the Huns and to protect new parts of the city, new walls were built in the early fifth century during the reign of Emperor Theodosius II (reigned 408–450). They came to be known as the Theodosian walls.
Detroit Photographic Company, Detroit, Michigan
Type of Item
1 photomechanical print : photochrom, color
- The Detroit Photographic Company was launched as a photographic publishing firm in the late 1890s by Detroit businessman and publisher William A. Livingstone, Jr., and photographer and photo-publisher Edwin H. Husher. They obtained exclusive rights to use the Swiss "Photochrom" process for converting black-and-white photographs into color images and printing them by photolithography. This innovative process was applied to the mass production of color postcards, prints, and albums for sale to the American market. The firm became the Detroit Publishing Company in 1905.
- Print no. "16525".
Last updated: January 8, 2018