Scutari, Constantinople, Turkey, II
This photochrome print of a street in Scutari (present-day Üsküdar), located on the edge of Constantinople (present-day Istanbul), is part of “Views of People and Sites in Turkey” from the catalog of the Detroit Publishing Company (1905). Situated on the Asian side of the Bosphorus, Scutari was one of several areas outside the Constantinople city walls and was known for its important cemeteries and busy waterfront. It was described in the 1911 edition of Baedeker’s The Mediterranean, seaports and sea routes: Handbook for Travellers as a “large suburb of Constantinople…its fine old mosques, its crooked streets, and its small timber houses give it a more Oriental characteristic than Stambul. Until a century ago Scutari was the terminus of the caravan-routes from Asia Minor, by which the treasures of the East were brought to Constantinople.”
Detroit Photographic Company, Detroit, Michigan
Title in Original Language
Scutari, Constantinople, Turkey
Type of Item
1 photomechanical print : photochrom, color
- The Detroit Photographic Company was launched as a photographic publishing firm in the late 1890s by Detroit businessman and publisher William A. Livingstone, Jr., and photographer and photo-publisher Edwin H. Husher. They obtained exclusive rights to use the Swiss "Photochrom" process for converting black-and-white photographs into color images and printing them by photolithography. This innovative process was applied to the mass production of color postcards, prints, and albums for sale to the American market. The firm became the Detroit Publishing Company in 1905.
- Print no. "6403".
Last updated: September 27, 2013