The Burnt Column, Constantinople, Turkey
This photochrome print of the Burnt Column in Constantinople (present-day Istanbul) is part of “Views of People and Sites in Turkey” from the catalog of the Detroit Publishing Company (1905). The 1911 edition of Baedeker’s The Mediterranean, seaports and sea routes: Handbook for Travellers described this structure, built of stone brought from Heliopolis, Egypt, as a “great column of porphyry…erected by Constantine on the ancient ‘triumphal way’, to mark the centre of his forum.” Until 1106, the column bore a bronze statue of the emperor, who founded the city and renamed it after himself. The placement of the column on a hill in the year 330 was intended to remind viewers of Rome with its seven hills, and to link the old capital of the empire with the “New Rome.” Immediately adjacent to the Burnt Column is the Great Bazaar, which constitutes its own quarter of the city.
Detroit Photographic Company, Detroit, Michigan
Type of Item
1 photomechanical print : photochrom, color
- The Detroit Photographic Company was launched as a photographic publishing firm in the late 1890s by Detroit businessman and publisher William A. Livingstone, Jr., and photographer and photo-publisher Edwin H. Husher. They obtained exclusive rights to use the Swiss "Photochrom" process for converting black-and-white photographs into color images and printing them by photolithography. This innovative process was applied to the mass production of color postcards, prints, and albums for sale to the American market. The firm became the Detroit Publishing Company in 1905.
- Print no. "6191".
Last updated: January 8, 2018