Mosque and Street, Scutari, Constantinople, Turkey
This photochrome print of a mosque and street scene in Scutari (present-day Üsküdar) on the edge of Constantinople (Istanbul) is part of “Views of People and Sites in Turkey” from the catalog of the Detroit Publishing Company (1905). Located on the Asian side of the Bosporus, Üsküdar was settled in the seventh century BC and was called Skoutarion in Byzantine times, probably after the leather shields of the imperial guards (scutari means “raw tanned leather”). It was known as Escutaire or Eksüdar to the successive waves of invading Persians, Macedonians, Arabs, and Crusaders. Scutari was described in the 1911 edition of Baedeker’s The Mediterranean, seaports and sea routes: Handbook for Travellers as a “large suburb of Constantinople…its fine old mosques, its crooked streets, and its small timber houses give it a more Oriental characteristic than Stambul.”
Detroit Photographic Company, Detroit, Michigan
Type of Item
1 photomechanical print : photochrom, color
- The Detroit Photographic Company was launched as a photographic publishing firm in the late 1890s by Detroit businessman and publisher William A. Livingstone, Jr., and photographer and photo-publisher Edwin H. Husher. They obtained exclusive rights to use the Swiss "Photochrom" process for converting black-and-white photographs into color images and printing them by photolithography. This innovative process was applied to the mass production of color postcards, prints, and albums for sale to the American market. The firm became the Detroit Publishing Company in 1905.
- Print no. "6041".
Last updated: September 27, 2013