Cypresses and Road Leading to the Cemetery, Scutari, Constantinople, Turkey
This photochrome print of a scene from Scutari (present-day Üsküdar) on the edge of Constantinople (Istanbul) is part of “Views of People and Sites in Turkey” from the catalog of the Detroit Publishing Company (1905). Resting on the Asian side of the Bosphorus, Scutari was described in the 1911 edition of Baedeker’s The Mediterranean, seaports and sea routes: Handbook for Travellers as a “large suburb of Constantinople… its fine old mosques, its crooked streets, and its small timber houses give it a more Oriental characteristic than Stambul. Until a century ago Scutari was the terminus of the caravan-routes from Asia Minor, by which the treasures of the East were brought to Constantinople. It is still the starting point of the sacred annual Mecca caravan.” Cypresses shield the road that leads to the Great Cemetery, “the largest Moslem burial-ground in the East.” Directly to the south of the cemetery was a large military hospital where during the Crimean War (1853–56) Florence Nightingale worked and achieved prominence as a key figure in the development of modern nursing.
Detroit Photographic Company, Detroit, Michigan
Type of Item
1 photomechanical print : photochrom, color
- The Detroit Photographic Company was launched as a photographic publishing firm in the late 1890s by Detroit businessman and publisher William A. Livingstone, Jr., and photographer and photo-publisher Edwin H. Husher. They obtained exclusive rights to use the Swiss "Photochrom" process for converting black-and-white photographs into color images and printing them by photolithography. This innovative process was applied to the mass production of color postcards, prints, and albums for sale to the American market. The firm became the Detroit Publishing Company in 1905.
- Print no. "6040".
Last updated: January 8, 2018