Constantine, Algeria, with the Great Bridge
This photochrome print from Constantine (present-day Qacentina), Algeria, is part of “Views of People and Sites in Algeria” from the catalog of the Detroit Publishing Company (1905). The town was described in the 1911 edition of Baedeker’s The Mediterranean, seaports and sea routes: Handbook for Travellers as “typically Berber in its difficulty of access.” The city was called Cirta in classical times, but the Emperor Constantine had it rebuilt and renamed to honor him. A center of trade and invasion for centuries, Constantine attracted Arabs, Genoese, Venetians, displaced Jews, and Ottoman Turks. The city is bordered by deep ravines, which are traversed by three bridges, one of which, the Great Bridge, is shown in this print.
Detroit Photographic Company, Detroit, Michigan
Type of Item
1 photomechanical print : photochrom, color
- The Detroit Photographic Company was launched as a photographic publishing firm in the late 1890s by Detroit businessman and publisher William A. Livingstone, Jr., and photographer and photo-publisher Edwin H. Husher. They obtained exclusive rights to use the Swiss "Photochrom" process for converting black-and-white photographs into color images and printing them by photolithography. This innovative process was applied to the mass production of color postcards, prints, and albums for sale to the American market. The firm became the Detroit Publishing Company in 1905.
- Print no. "6236".
Last updated: April 28, 2015