Harbor with Warships, Algiers, Algeria
This photochrome print of warships in the harbor in Algiers is part of “Views of People and Sites in Algeria” from the catalog of the Detroit Publishing Company (1905). In the early 1900s, the French navy was organized into seven marine districts: Cherbourg, Brest, Lorient, and Rochefort on the Atlantic; Toulon on the Mediterranean coast of France; Cochin-China in Asia; and Algeria on the North African coast. As the headquarters of the Algerian marine district, Algiers was an important strategic point. At the time, the French fleet ranked second in the world after the British navy, with 25 battleships of various types, 17 armored cruisers, and many smaller vessels.
Detroit Photographic Company, Detroit, Michigan
Type of Item
1 photomechanical print : photochrom, color
- The Detroit Photographic Company was launched as a photographic publishing firm in the late 1890s by Detroit businessman and publisher William A. Livingstone, Jr., and photographer and photo-publisher Edwin H. Husher. They obtained exclusive rights to use the Swiss "Photochrom" process for converting black-and-white photographs into color images and printing them by photolithography. This innovative process was applied to the mass production of color postcards, prints, and albums for sale to the American market. The firm became the Detroit Publishing Company in 1905.
- Print no. "6243".
Last updated: August 13, 2014