Interior of Governors Palace, Algiers, Algeria
This photochrome print of the governor’s palace in Algiers is part of “Views of People and Sites in Algeria” from the catalog of the Detroit Publishing Company (1905). The palace, Dar Hassan Pacha, was described in the 1911 edition of Baedeker’s The Mediterranean, seaports and sea routes: Handbook for Travellers as having been “one of the latest specimens of Moorish-Turkish architecture in Algeria; but it has been entirely remodeled to suit its present purpose and has been provided with a new façade.” Pasha Hassan, finance minister to the dey (ruler) of Algeria, built the palace in 1791 and it was his residence for the next eight years. It became the French governor-general’s winter palace in 1839 and hosted the Emperor Napoleon III and Empress Eugénie in 1860. Some of the original palace decoration survived, including carved and painted wood ceilings, elaborate plasterwork, and wall tiles.
Detroit Photographic Company, Detroit, Michigan
Type of Item
1 photomechanical print : photochrom, color
- The Detroit Photographic Company was launched as a photographic publishing firm in the late 1890s by Detroit businessman and publisher William A. Livingstone, Jr., and photographer and photo-publisher Edwin H. Husher. They obtained exclusive rights to use the Swiss "Photochrom" process for converting black-and-white photographs into color images and printing them by photolithography. This innovative process was applied to the mass production of color postcards, prints, and albums for sale to the American market. The firm became the Detroit Publishing Company in 1905.
- Print no. "8646".
Last updated: August 13, 2014