Algiers Viewed from Outside Notre Dame d’Afrique
This photochrome print of Algiers as seen from the Notre Dame d’Afrique church is part of “Views of People and Sites in Algeria” from the catalog of the Detroit Publishing Company (1905). Notre Dame d’Afrique was described in the 1911 edition of Baedeker’s The Mediterranean, seaports and sea routes: Handbook for Travellers as rising “conspicuously on a spur of the N.E. slope of Mont Bouzaréah, above the Christian and the Jewish burial-grounds. From the terrace in front of the church, where the blessing of the sea by the clergy every Sunday at 3.30 attracts many spectators, we survey the coast as far as the Pointe Pescade.” The basilica church of Algiers, Notre Dame d’Afrique, was designed by Jean Eugene Fromageau, the major architect of French colonial buildings, and was inaugurated in 1872. Fromageau’s design combined Roman and Byzantine elements, and was dominated by a large silver dome above smaller domes and domed turrets.
Detroit Photographic Company, Detroit, Michigan
Type of Item
1 photomechanical print : photochrom, color
- The Detroit Photographic Company was launched as a photographic publishing firm in the late 1890s by Detroit businessman and publisher William A. Livingstone, Jr., and photographer and photo-publisher Edwin H. Husher. They obtained exclusive rights to use the Swiss "Photochrom" process for converting black-and-white photographs into color images and printing them by photolithography. This innovative process was applied to the mass production of color postcards, prints, and albums for sale to the American market. The firm became the Detroit Publishing Company in 1905.
- Print no. "8501".
Last updated: August 13, 2014