The Admiralty, Algiers, Algeria
This photochrome print of the admiralty in the port of Algiers is part of “Views of People and Sites in Algeria” from the catalog of the Detroit Publishing Company (1905). The original Spanish port was destroyed and rebuilt by Kheireddin Barbarossa (circa 1478–1546), a Greco-Turkish pirate, Ottoman admiral, and pasha of Algiers. The French greatly expanded the port and occupied the neo-Moorish Palais de l’Amirauté (Admiralty Palace). As described by the 1911 edition of Baedeker’s The Mediterranean, seaports and sea routes: Handbook for Travellers, “one could traverse the Rampe de l’Amirauté, on the old Jetée of Kheireddin. This jetty or quay, the oldest of all, connects the old Porte de France on the mainland (once the Turkish sea-gate) with what was once the island of Peñón, now the Presqu’île de l’Amirauté.”
Detroit Photographic Company, Detroit, Michigan
Type of Item
1 photomechanical print : photochrom, color
- The Detroit Photographic Company was launched as a photographic publishing firm in the late 1890s by Detroit businessman and publisher William A. Livingstone, Jr., and photographer and photo-publisher Edwin H. Husher. They obtained exclusive rights to use the Swiss "Photochrom" process for converting black-and-white photographs into color images and printing them by photolithography. This innovative process was applied to the mass production of color postcards, prints, and albums for sale to the American market. The firm became the Detroit Publishing Company in 1905.
- Print no. "6222".
Last updated: August 13, 2014