The Harbor from the Lighthouse, Algiers, Algeria
This photochrome print of the harbor in Algiers is part of “Views of People and Sites in Algeria” from the catalog of the Detroit Publishing Company (1905). According to the 1911 edition of Baedeker’s The Mediterranean, seaports and sea routes: Handbook for Travellers, “the sole Harbour, prior to the French period, was the Ancien Port, or Darse de l’Amirauté, constructed by Kheireddin Barbarossa.” Barbarossa (circa 1478–1546) was a Greco-Turkish pirate, Ottoman admiral, and pasha of Algiers. The French expanded the port at great cost in the mid-19th and early 20th centuries, so that it eventually came to cover more than 86 hectares. Baedeker described the port as “once a nest of piratical vessels, and now a torpedo-boat station and anchorage for yachts and fishing boats.” The massive jetty walls seen in the photograph reflect the importance that the French attached to protecting this harbor.
Detroit Photographic Company, Detroit, Michigan
Title in Original Language
The harbor from the lighthouse, Algiers, Algeria
Type of Item
1 photomechanical print : photochrom, color
- The Detroit Photographic Company was launched as a photographic publishing firm in the late 1890s by Detroit businessman and publisher William A. Livingstone, Jr., and photographer and photo-publisher Edwin H. Husher. They obtained exclusive rights to use the Swiss "Photochrom" process for converting black-and-white photographs into color images and printing them by photolithography. This innovative process was applied to the mass production of color postcards, prints, and albums for sale to the American market. The firm became the Detroit Publishing Company in 1905.
- Print no. "6206".
Last updated: August 13, 2014