Mosque in Al-Ain
This 1963 photograph shows an early example of a mosque and its minaret in Al-Ain, a desert oasis located approximately 160 kilometers east of the city of Abu Dhabi in the emirate of Abu Dhabi. Al-Ain (“the spring” in Arabic) takes its name from the abundant supply of underground fresh water that has been used for centuries to irrigate date groves and small farms. The photograph is from the Colonel Edward "Tug" Bearby Wilson Collection in the National Library, Abu Dhabi Authority for Culture and Heritage, and was taken by Wilson. Colonel Tug Wilson (1921–2009) was a British army officer who, in the 1960s, was seconded to the government of Abu Dhabi to help build the national defense force. He was a personal friend of the ruler of Abu Dhabi, Shaykh Zayed bin Sultan Al Nahyan (1918–2004), with whom he shared interests in falconry and horseback riding.
Title in Original Language
Mosque in Al Ain
Type of Item
Last updated: November 23, 2011