Luxembourg, a Famous Fortress in the Duchy of the Same Name in the Netherlands
The city of Luxembourg, capital of the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg, is strategically located on a plateau above two gorges formed by the Alzette and Petrusse rivers. Already in the 4th century, it was the site of a Roman fort. In 963, Siegfried, Count of Ardennes and founder of the state of Luxembourg, built a castle on the same location. The walled town grew up around the castle, and the fortifications were strengthened over the course of centuries. This map, by Mattheus Seuter (1678-1756), shows both the fortifications and, in the inset at the bottom, a pictorial view of the city. Seutter was an engraver, map publisher, and globe maker from Augsburg, Germany. He was apprenticed to the Nuremberg map publisher Johann Baptist Homann in 1697, but returned to Augsburg around 1707 to set up his own firm. In 1731, Emperor Karl VI awarded him the title of Imperial Geographer. This map is from Seutter’s Grosser Atlas worinnen enthalten alle die jenige geographisches Universal-Special- und Particular-Mappen, mit über die mehresten gedrukten alphabetischen Registern (Large atlas, wherein are contained all the recent geographic universal, special, and particular maps, with the largest number of published alphabetical registers), published in 1734.
Title in Original Language
Luxembourg, une fortresse tres-celebre de la duché de cette nom dans Pais-Bas
Type of Item
1 map : color ; 48 x 56 centimeters
Last updated: September 18, 2015