North Panorama, with Church of the Transfiguration (1756), (left), Resurrection Cathedral (1750-54, 1908-1911), and Bell Tower (1908-1911), Cherdyn', Russia
This panoramic view of churches in Cherdyn', located in the northern part of Perm' Territory, was taken in 2000 by Dr. William Brumfield, American photographer and historian of Russian architecture, as part of the "Meeting of Frontiers" project at the Library of Congress. The view includes the Church of the Transfiguration (left), built in 1756 and now lacking its cupolas and bell tower; the Resurrection Cathedral, erected in 1750-54 and expanded in 1908-11 with the construction of a large bell tower; and the Church of St. John the Divine (far right, background), originally built in 1704-18 for a monastery of the same name. Each church displays a combination of 17th- and 18th- century stylistic elements. Settled perhaps as early as the ninth century, Cherdyn' is first mentioned in the Vychega-Vym' chronicle under the year 1451. Its location in the northern Ural Mountains, near the confluence of the Vishera and Kolva rivers (tributaries of the Kama), gave it an important geographical position for travel to the far north and over the Urals to Siberia. In the 17th century, Cherdyn' was overshadowed by the more southerly settlement of Solikamsk, but it remained a regional trading center, as reflected in the number of its masonry churches, most of which were closed and damaged during the Soviet period.
Type of Item
1 slide : color ; 35 millimeter
Last updated: January 11, 2016