Church of Saints Zosima and Savvatii of Solovki in the Village of Uslanka, Olonets Province


The Mariinsky Canal system (now known as the Volga-Baltic Waterway) links Saint Petersburg with the Volga River basin. When this photograph was taken in 1909, a major part of the system was the Svir River, which flows 224 kilometers from Lake Onega west to Lake Ladoga. The village of Uslanka (present-day Leningrad Oblast) is located near the confluence of the small Uslanka River (seven kilometers in length) with the Svir. On a gentle rise above the Uslanka is the Church of Saints Zosima and Savvatiia, probably built in the latter half of the 19th century. Surrounded by a picket fence, the log structure is clad in painted plank siding, and its form shows evidence of urban influence, such as the dormer windows on the metal roof. In the background are several large log houses. Cultivated fields are visible on the hills in the background. The image is by Russian photographer Sergei Mikhailovich Prokudin-Gorskii (1863–1944), who used a special color photography process to create a visual record of the Russian Empire in the early 20th century. Some of Prokudin-Gorskii’s photographs date from about 1905, but the bulk of his work is from between 1909 and 1915, when, with the support of Tsar Nicholas II and the Ministry of Transportation, he undertook extended trips through many parts of the empire.

Date Created

Subject Date

Title in Original Language

Церковь Зосимы и Савватия Соловецких в селе Усланка Олонецкой губернии

Type of Item

Physical Description

Glass negative (presented as a digital color composite)


  • Prokudin-Gorskii’s photographic work survives primarily in two forms: 1,901 black-and-white triple-frame glass plate negatives, made with color separation filters, which Prokudin-Gorskii used to make color prints and lantern slides; and 12 albums of sepia-tone prints, made from the glass negatives, which Prokudin-Gorskii compiled as a record of his travels and studies. The Library of Congress purchased the glass plate negatives and the albums from the Prokudin-Gorskii family in 1948. In 2004, the Library of Congress had digital color composites made from all the surviving glass negatives using a software algorithm to automatically align the color components. As with most historical photographs, title and subject identifications are corrected and enhanced through new research. Current information on the collection is at

Last updated: July 9, 2015