View from the Bell Tower of the Trinity Cathedral (of the Trinity Monastery) on Cathedral Square in Belgorod, during the Celebration of the Canonization of Ioasaf of Belgorod, September 4, 1911
This photograph of a solemn procession in honor of the canonization of the Ioasaf Belgorodskii was taken in September 1911, in the city of Belgorod. Born Ioakim Andreevich Gorlenko on September 8 (19), 1705, to parents of distinguished Cossack lineage, Ioasaf of Belgorod entered the Kiev Spiritual Academy in 1713 and accepted the monastic calling in 1727. In 1744 he was bestowed the title “Archimandrite” by Empress Elizabeth and served at the Trinity Lavra of Saint Sergius (monastery) near Moscow. In 1748 he became Bishop of Belgorod and Oboyan. After his death in 1754, the incorruptibility of the prelate’s body was seen as a sign of divine favor. This, together with his dedicated pastoral work, led to his glorification in 1910. His relics were placed in the Cathedral of the Trinity Monastery, from whose bell tower this photograph was taken. On the left is the large dome of the Nativity of the Virgin Convent. The image is by Russian photographer Sergei Mikhailovich Prokudin-Gorskii (1863–1944), who used a special color photography process to create a visual record of the Russian Empire in the early 20th century. Some of Prokudin-Gorskii’s photographs date from about 1905, but the bulk of his work is from between 1909 and 1915, when, with the support of Tsar Nicholas II and the Ministry of Transportation, he undertook extended trips through many parts of the empire.
Title in Original Language
Вид с колокольни Троицкого собора (одноименного мужского монастыря) на Соборную площадь Белгорода во время торжеств прославления Святителя Иоасафа Белгородского 4 сентября 1911 года
Type of Item
Glass negative (presented as a digital color composite)
- Prokudin-Gorskii’s photographic work survives primarily in two forms: 1,901 black-and-white triple-frame glass plate negatives, made with color separation filters, which Prokudin-Gorskii used to make color prints and lantern slides; and 12 albums of sepia-tone prints, made from the glass negatives, which Prokudin-Gorskii compiled as a record of his travels and studies. The Library of Congress purchased the glass plate negatives and the albums from the Prokudin-Gorskii family in 1948. In 2004, the Library of Congress had digital color composites made from all the surviving glass negatives using a software algorithm to automatically align the color components. As with most historical photographs, title and subject identifications are corrected and enhanced through new research. Current information on the collection is at http://www.loc.gov/pictures/collection/prok/.
Last updated: July 9, 2015