Decorative Items on Display Including a Candelabra, Boxes, and a Carved Animal Sculpture
Tver is an ancient city on the Volga River to the northwest of Moscow. Opened in 1866, the Tver Museum displayed natural and archeological items of interest from the Tver region, as well as works of art. Shown in this 1910 image are a bronze candelabra, a bronze vessel (with spout) in the form of a lion, and enameled snuff boxes. In 1897 the museum was allocated space in the Imperial Transit Palace (Putevoi dvorets). Nationalized and granted state protection in 1918, the museum was given the entire space of the Transit Palace in 1921, where it remained until World War II. During the German occupation of Tver in the fall of 1941 the museum was severely damaged and ransacked and lost most of its holdings, including the objects photographed here. The image is by Russian photographer Sergei Mikhailovich Prokudin-Gorskii (1863–1944), who used a special color photography process to create a visual record of the Russian Empire in the early 20th century. Some of Prokudin-Gorskii’s photographs date from about 1905, but the bulk of his work is from between 1909 and 1915, when, with the support of Tsar Nicholas II and the Ministry of Transportation, he undertook extended trips through many parts of the empire. In 1910 his work included photographing of a number of exhibits in the Tver Museum.
Title in Original Language
Декоративные предметы, включая канделябр, шкатулки и резную скульптуру животного
Type of Item
Glass negative (presented as a digital color composite)
- Prokudin-Gorskii’s photographic work survives primarily in two forms: 1,901 black-and-white triple-frame glass plate negatives, made with color separation filters, which Prokudin-Gorskii used to make color prints and lantern slides; and 12 albums of sepia-tone prints, made from the glass negatives, which Prokudin-Gorskii compiled as a record of his travels and studies. The Library of Congress purchased the glass plate negatives and the albums from the Prokudin-Gorskii family in 1948. In 2004, the Library of Congress had digital color composites made from all the surviving glass negatives using a software algorithm to automatically align the color components. As with most historical photographs, title and subject identifications are corrected and enhanced through new research. Current information on the collection is at http://www.loc.gov/pictures/collection/prok/.
Last updated: July 9, 2015