Part of the Construction of the Left Side of the Bridge (Taken Downriver). Ialutorovsk
The town of Ialutorovsk (present-day Tiumen Oblast) was founded in 1659 at the Tatar settlement of Iavlu-Tura. Located some 75 kilometers southeast of Tiumen, Ialutorovsk grew slowly as a local administrative center and place of political exile. The area was described extensively in Letters from Ialutorovsk (1845) by Ivan Pushchin, one of the Decembrists (nobles who rose against the tsarist regime in December 1825). With the institution of steamboat service along the Tobol River in the early 20th century, the town saw new development. In 1912 a rail line reached Ialutorovsk from Tiumen as part of an alternative route to Omsk on the Trans-Siberian Railway. Shown here is a railroad bridge under construction across the Tobol. In the middle of the frame a new church stands, covered in scaffolding. The image is by Russian photographer Sergei Mikhailovich Prokudin-Gorskii (1863–1944), who used a special color photography process to create a visual record of the Russian Empire in the early 20th century. Some of Prokudin-Gorskii’s photographs date from about 1905, but the bulk of his work is from between 1909 and 1915, when, with the support of Tsar Nicholas II and the Ministry of Transportation, he undertook extended trips through many parts of the empire. In 1912 Prokudin-Gorskii took part in an expedition along the Kama-Tobol Waterway and on that occasion visited Ialutorovsk.
Title in Original Language
Часть построек левой стороны моста (снято снизу реки). Ялуторовск
Type of Item
Glass negative (presented as a digital color composite)
- Prokudin-Gorskii’s photographic work survives primarily in two forms: 1,901 black-and-white triple-frame glass plate negatives, made with color separation filters, which Prokudin-Gorskii used to make color prints and lantern slides; and 12 albums of sepia-tone prints, made from the glass negatives, which Prokudin-Gorskii compiled as a record of his travels and studies. The Library of Congress purchased the glass plate negatives and the albums from the Prokudin-Gorskii family in 1948. In 2004, the Library of Congress had digital color composites made from all the surviving glass negatives using a software algorithm to automatically align the color components. As with most historical photographs, title and subject identifications are corrected and enhanced through new research. Current information on the collection is at http://www.loc.gov/pictures/collection/prok/.
Last updated: July 9, 2015