Near Shadrinsk, Twenty-Four Versts. Study. A Chapel Commemorating the Appearance of the Icon of Saint Nicholas the Wonder Worker


The caption to this photograph identifies the chapel pictured as located 24 versts (about the same distance in kilometers) from Shadrinsk and dedicated to a miraculous appearance of an icon of Saint Nicholas. The precise location of the domed brick chapel is not given. In terms of its design, the chapel appears to date from the early 19th century. The vast, grassy space with a forested elevation in the distant background is characteristic of a forest-steppe zone. The long wooden fence suggests an enclosure for grazing lands. The image is by Russian photographer Sergei Mikhailovich Prokudin-Gorskii (1863–1944), who used a special color photography process to create a visual record of the Russian Empire in the early 20th century. Some of Prokudin-Gorskii’s photographs date from about 1905, but the bulk of his work is from between 1909 and 1915, when, with the support of Tsar Nicholas II and the Ministry of Transportation, he undertook extended trips through many parts of the empire. In 1912 Prokudin-Gorskii participated in an expedition along the Kama-Tobol Waterway together with members of the Imperial Russian Geographical Society. The main scholarly purpose of the expedition was to investigate a Neolithic archeological site at Palkino (near Ekaterinburg). Prokudin-Gorskii also did extensive photographic work in the area of the waterway, including in places around Shadrinsk, which is located on the main rail line to Kurgan, southeast of Ekaterinburg.

Date Created

Subject Date

Title in Original Language

Близ Шадринска, 24 версты. Этюд. Часовня в память явления иконы Николая Чудотворца

Type of Item

Physical Description

Glass negative (presented as a digital color composite)


  • Prokudin-Gorskii’s photographic work survives primarily in two forms: 1,901 black-and-white triple-frame glass plate negatives, made with color separation filters, which Prokudin-Gorskii used to make color prints and lantern slides; and 12 albums of sepia-tone prints, made from the glass negatives, which Prokudin-Gorskii compiled as a record of his travels and studies. The Library of Congress purchased the glass plate negatives and the albums from the Prokudin-Gorskii family in 1948. In 2004, the Library of Congress had digital color composites made from all the surviving glass negatives using a software algorithm to automatically align the color components. As with most historical photographs, title and subject identifications are corrected and enhanced through new research. Current information on the collection is at

Last updated: July 9, 2015