Iset River Valley near Shadrinsk. View from Tumanov Hill


This striking photograph, taken from Tumanovsk Hill, shows a village in the Iset River valley near Shadrinsk. Of special interest is a partially hidden brick building, probably used as a store. The structure is crowned with an elaborate cornice, and on the left is a courtyard gate decorated with cupolas. On the right is another courtyard gate for the adjacent log house, next to which another log house is under construction. A wattle fence surrounds the dilapidated log house and barn in the foreground. In the background is a partial view of Shadrinsk with the prominent Church of Saint Nicholas, built in 1793–1802 and expanded in the 1840s. The image is by Russian photographer Sergei Mikhailovich Prokudin-Gorskii (1863–1944), who used a special color photography process to create a visual record of the Russian Empire in the early 20th century. Some of Prokudin-Gorskii’s photographs date from about 1905, but the bulk of his work is from between 1909 and 1915, when, with the support of Tsar Nicholas II and the Ministry of Transportation, he undertook extended trips through many different parts of the empire. In 1912 Prokudin-Gorskii participated in an expedition along the Kama-Tobol Waterway, during which he did extensive photography in the area around Shadrinsk, located on the main rail line to Kurgan, southeast of Ekaterinburg.

Date Created

Subject Date

Title in Original Language

Долина р. Исети около Шадринска с Тумановской горы

Type of Item

Physical Description

Glass negative (presented as a digital color composite)


  • Prokudin-Gorskii’s photographic work survives primarily in two forms: 1,901 black-and-white triple-frame glass plate negatives, made with color separation filters, which Prokudin-Gorskii used to make color prints and lantern slides; and 12 albums of sepia-tone prints, made from the glass negatives, which Prokudin-Gorskii compiled as a record of his travels and studies. The Library of Congress purchased the glass plate negatives and the albums from the Prokudin-Gorskii family in 1948. In 2004, the Library of Congress had digital color composites made from all the surviving glass negatives using a software algorithm to automatically align the color components. As with most historical photographs, title and subject identifications are corrected and enhanced through new research. Current information on the collection is at

Last updated: July 9, 2015