Near Zotovskaia Canal on the Axis of the Reshotka River Canal, at the Water Tower of Khrustalnaia Station, on the Perm-Kungur Railroad
This photograph was taken in 1912 at Khrustal’naia Station on the main railroad line to the west of Ekaterinburg. The partially obscured wooden station building and attached water tower display the functional but attractive architectural style typical of the late 19th century. In the foreground is the small Zotov drainage canal, which runs into the Reshetka River. Only about 35 kilometers in length, the Reshetka for much of its path forms part of a channeled link between the Chusovaia and Iset’ Rivers. It empties into the Iset’ River, which flows eastward to Ekaterinburg. Visible in the background are tall birch and fir trees typical of the taiga forest in the wooded area around Khrustal’naia and the nearby Palkino region. The image is by Russian photographer Sergei Mikhailovich Prokudin-Gorskii (1863–1944), who used a special color photography process to create a visual record of the Russian Empire in the early 20th century. Some of Prokudin-Gorskii’s photographs date from about 1905, but the bulk of his work is from between 1909 and 1915, when, with the support of Tsar Nicholas II and the Ministry of Transportation, he undertook extended trips through many parts of the empire. During this period he worked extensively in the Ural Mountains, where he photographed railroad installations and factories.
Title in Original Language
Близ Зотовской канавы по оси канала р. Решотка у водокачки для ст. Хрустальной Пермь-Кунгурск. ж.д.
Type of Item
Glass negative (presented as a digital color composite)
- Prokudin-Gorskii’s photographic work survives primarily in two forms: 1,901 black-and-white triple-frame glass plate negatives, made with color separation filters, which Prokudin-Gorskii used to make color prints and lantern slides; and 12 albums of sepia-tone prints, made from the glass negatives, which Prokudin-Gorskii compiled as a record of his travels and studies. The Library of Congress purchased the glass plate negatives and the albums from the Prokudin-Gorskii family in 1948. In 2004, the Library of Congress had digital color composites made from all the surviving glass negatives using a software algorithm to automatically align the color components. As with most historical photographs, title and subject identifications are corrected and enhanced through new research. Current information on the collection is at http://www.loc.gov/pictures/collection/prok/.
Last updated: July 9, 2015