Chapel on Georgievskii Rock. The Chapel Is Called Georgievskaia. Chusovaia River
Originating in the southern Urals, the Chusovaia River flows some 590 kilometers to the northwest and empties into the Kama River near the city of Perm. Bounded by high rocky cliffs, the Chusovaia was known for its dramatic scenery. Shown in this photograph, taken on the steep forested bank of the river, is the wooden Chapel of Saint George, which gave its name to a grouping of cliffs (Georgievskii Rock) on the right bank of the river near the large village of Utkinskaia Sloboda (77 kilometers from Ekaterinburg). The chapel includes a small porch, dimly visible here. The image is by Russian photographer Sergei Mikhailovich Prokudin-Gorskii (1863–1944), who used a special color photography process to create a visual record of the Russian Empire in the early 20th century. Some of Prokudin-Gorskii’s photographs date from about 1905, but the bulk of his work is from between 1909 and 1915, when, with the support of Tsar Nicholas II and the Ministry of Transportation, he undertook extended trips through many parts of the empire. Prokudin-Gorskii made several trips to the Ural Mountains and nearby regions, where he photographed railroad installations and factories, as well as picturesque locations. In 1912 he traveled along the Chusovaia River as part of a trip to western Siberia via the Kama-Tobolsk Waterway.
Title in Original Language
Часовня на Георгиевском камне. (Часовня назыв. Георгиевской). Река Чусовая
Type of Item
Glass negative (presented as a digital color composite)
- Prokudin-Gorskii’s photographic work survives primarily in two forms: 1,901 black-and-white triple-frame glass plate negatives, made with color separation filters, which Prokudin-Gorskii used to make color prints and lantern slides; and 12 albums of sepia-tone prints, made from the glass negatives, which Prokudin-Gorskii compiled as a record of his travels and studies. The Library of Congress purchased the glass plate negatives and the albums from the Prokudin-Gorskii family in 1948. In 2004, the Library of Congress had digital color composites made from all the surviving glass negatives using a software algorithm to automatically align the color components. As with most historical photographs, title and subject identifications are corrected and enhanced through new research. Current information on the collection is at http://www.loc.gov/pictures/collection/prok/.
Last updated: July 9, 2015