Village of Kamenka. General View


This view shows the village of Kamenka (in present-day Sverdlovsk Oblast), located where the small Kamenka River flows into the Chusovaya River. Founded in 1574 as one of the easternmost settlements belonging to the Stroganovs, Kamenka flourished in the 18th century with a water-powered sawmill that produced planks used for boat construction. In the center of the photograph is a log house in a traditional design, with a four-sloped wooden roof that covers living space in the front (with white window frames) and a barn in back. Sturdy pines cling to the top of the rocky bank on the right. The image is by Russian photographer Sergei Mikhailovich Prokudin-Gorskii (1863–1944), who used a special color photography process to create a visual record of the Russian Empire in the early 20th century. Some of Prokudin-Gorskii’s photographs date from about 1905, but the bulk of his work is from between 1909 and 1915, when, with the support of Tsar Nicholas II and the Ministry of Transportation, he undertook extended trips through many parts of the empire. Prokudin-Gorskii made several trips to the Ural Mountains territory, where he photographed railroad installations and factories as well as picturesque locations. In 1912 he traveled along the Chusovaya River as part of a trip leading to western Siberia via the Kama-Tobolsk Waterway.

Date Created

Subject Date

Title in Original Language

Деревня Каменка. Общий вид

Type of Item

Physical Description

Glass negative (presented as a digital color composite)


  • Prokudin-Gorskii’s photographic work survives primarily in two forms: 1,901 black-and-white triple-frame glass plate negatives, made with color separation filters, which Prokudin-Gorskii used to make color prints and lantern slides; and 12 albums of sepia-tone prints, made from the glass negatives, which Prokudin-Gorskii compiled as a record of his travels and studies. The Library of Congress purchased the glass plate negatives and the albums from the Prokudin-Gorskii family in 1948. In 2004, the Library of Congress had digital color composites made from all the surviving glass negatives using a software algorithm to automatically align the color components. As with most historical photographs, title and subject identifications are corrected and enhanced through new research. Current information on the collection is at

Last updated: July 9, 2015