Village of Romanovka Seen from Romanovka Rock (a Part of the Rock Is Visible on the Right). Photographed from the Romanovka River
This image of the village of Romanovka was taken where the small Romanovka River flows into the Chusovaya River. The village was located on the right bank of the Chusovaya near Romanovskii Rock, an outcropping partially visible here on the left. The village consisted of log houses, some of which display white window surrounds. Visible in this scene are garden plots and small log outbuildings. In the background is a dense forest of firs, with a mixture of pine and birch. The photograph was taken in 1912. Within a few years, rural Russia would be caught up in a vortex of change that led to the disappearance of many villages such as Romanovka. The image is by Russian photographer Sergei Mikhailovich Prokudin-Gorskii (1863–1944), who used a special color photography process to create a visual record of the Russian Empire in the early 20th century. Some of Prokudin-Gorskii’s photographs date from about 1905, but the bulk of his work is from between 1909 and 1915, when, with the support of Tsar Nicholas II and the Ministry of Transportation, he undertook extended trips through many parts of the empire. Prokudin-Gorskii made several trips to the large territory around the Ural Mountains. In 1912 he traveled along the Chusovaya River as part of an expedition to western Siberia via the Kama-Tobolsk Waterway.
Title in Original Language
Деревня Романовка от камня Романовскаго (кусок камня виден направо). Снято от речки Романовки
Type of Item
Glass negative (presented as a digital color composite)
- Prokudin-Gorskii’s photographic work survives primarily in two forms: 1,901 black-and-white triple-frame glass plate negatives, made with color separation filters, which Prokudin-Gorskii used to make color prints and lantern slides; and 12 albums of sepia-tone prints, made from the glass negatives, which Prokudin-Gorskii compiled as a record of his travels and studies. The Library of Congress purchased the glass plate negatives and the albums from the Prokudin-Gorskii family in 1948. In 2004, the Library of Congress had digital color composites made from all the surviving glass negatives using a software algorithm to automatically align the color components. As with most historical photographs, title and subject identifications are corrected and enhanced through new research. Current information on the collection is at http://www.loc.gov/pictures/collection/prok/.
Last updated: July 9, 2015