Village of Razsolnaia. Extraction of Brown Iron Ore. Chusovaia River


The Chusovaya River originates in the southern Urals, flows some 590 kilometers to the northwest, and empties into the Kama River near the city of Perm. Bounded in many places by high, rocky cliffs, the Chusovaya was known for its dramatic scenery. The village of Rassol’naia, shown here, is perched on the riverbank, with a forest of tall firs in the background. Among the barns and sheds is a large two-story log house. The original caption indicates that this area was a source for rich brown iron ore. A pier, presumably for loading ore, is visible on the right. The image is by Russian photographer Sergei Mikhailovich Prokudin-Gorskii (1863–1944), who used a special color photography process to create a visual record of the Russian Empire in the early 20th century. Some of Prokudin-Gorskii’s photographs date from about 1905, but the bulk of his work is from between 1909 and 1915, when, with the support of Tsar Nicholas II and the Ministry of Transportation, he undertook extended trips through many parts of the empire. Prokudin-Gorskii made several trips to the large territory around the Ural Mountains, where he photographed railroad installations and factories as well as picturesque scenes. In 1912 he traveled along the Chusovaya River as part of an expedition to western Siberia via the Kama-Tobolsk Waterway.

Date Created

Subject Date

Title in Original Language

Деревня Разсольная. Добыча бураго железняка. Река Чусовая

Type of Item

Physical Description

Glass negative (presented as a digital color composite)


  • Prokudin-Gorskii’s photographic work survives primarily in two forms: 1,901 black-and-white triple-frame glass plate negatives, made with color separation filters, which Prokudin-Gorskii used to make color prints and lantern slides; and 12 albums of sepia-tone prints, made from the glass negatives, which Prokudin-Gorskii compiled as a record of his travels and studies. The Library of Congress purchased the glass plate negatives and the albums from the Prokudin-Gorskii family in 1948. In 2004, the Library of Congress had digital color composites made from all the surviving glass negatives using a software algorithm to automatically align the color components. As with most historical photographs, title and subject identifications are corrected and enhanced through new research. Current information on the collection is at

Last updated: July 9, 2015