Dmitrievskii Cathedral. Vladimir


The ancient Russian city of Vladimir is believed to have been founded by Grand Prince Vladimir Monomakh of Kiev in 1108. The settlement rapidly became a center of power in northeastern medieval Rus, but its sack by the Mongols in February 1238 led to its decline. Vladimir is renowned for its “white stone” (limestone) churches from the late 12th century. Among them is the Cathedral of Saint Dmitry (Saint Demetrius of Thessaloniki), built as a palace church by Prince Vsevolod III in the 1190s. As seen in this 1911 photograph of the west facade, the upper surface of the structure is covered in elaborate carving with a depiction of King David. In the middle of the structure is a carved arcade frieze with figures of saints. Visible in the right background is the corner of a freestanding bell tower (not extant). The image is by Russian photographer Sergei Mikhailovich Prokudin-Gorskii (1863–1944), who used a special color photography process to create a visual record of the Russian Empire in the early 20th century. Some of Prokudin-Gorskii’s photographs date from about 1905, but the bulk of his work is from between 1909 and 1915, when, with the support of Tsar Nicholas II and the Ministry of Transportation, he undertook extended trips through many different parts of the empire.

Date Created

Subject Date

Title in Original Language

Дмитриевский собор. [Владимир]

Type of Item

Physical Description

Glass negative (presented as a digital color composite)


  • Prokudin-Gorskii’s photographic work survives primarily in two forms: 1,901 black-and-white triple-frame glass plate negatives, made with color separation filters, which Prokudin-Gorskii used to make color prints and lantern slides; and 12 albums of sepia-tone prints, made from the glass negatives, which Prokudin-Gorskii compiled as a record of his travels and studies. The Library of Congress purchased the glass plate negatives and the albums from the Prokudin-Gorskii family in 1948. In 2004, the Library of Congress had digital color composites made from all the surviving glass negatives using a software algorithm to automatically align the color components. As with most historical photographs, title and subject identifications are corrected and enhanced through new research. Current information on the collection is at

Last updated: September 23, 2016