Chapel on the Site Where the Wife of Ivan the Terrible Gave Birth. Three Versts from Feodor Stratilat Monastery. Pereslavl-Zalesskii
Shown here is a memorial chapel near Pereslavl-Zalesskii at the site on which Tsaritsa Anastasiia Romanovna, wife of Ivan the Terrible, gave birth in 1557 to the royal couple’s third son, Feodor. Located three kilometers from the Monastery of Saint Theodore Stratilites on the southern approach to the town, the original chapel was built of wood. In the mid 17th century it was rebuilt in brick in an ornate style typical of the period. Dedicated to Saint Theodore, the chapel was known as “The Cross” because of the presence of a large cross within it. The deterioration of the structure in the 19th century led to its precise measurement in the 1880s by the architect Vladimir Suslov, a pioneer in the study of Russian architecture. Following Suslov’s work, the chapel was disassembled and rebuilt in 1889. The image is by Russian photographer Sergei Mikhailovich Prokudin-Gorskii (1863–1944), who used a special color photography process to create a visual record of the Russian Empire in the early 20th century. Some of Prokudin-Gorskii’s photographs date from about 1905, but the bulk of his work is from between 1909 and 1915, when, with the support of Tsar Nicholas II and the Ministry of Transportation, he undertook extended trips through many parts of the empire. In the summer of 1911 Prokudin-Gorskii photographed ancient towns, such as Pereslavl-Zalesskii, located to the northeast of Moscow
Title in Original Language
Часовня на месте, где разрешилась супруга Иоанна Грознаго: 3-х верст. от монаст. Феодора Стратилата. Переяславль-Залесский
Type of Item
Glass negative (presented as a digital color composite)
- Prokudin-Gorskii’s photographic work survives primarily in two forms: 1,901 black-and-white triple-frame glass plate negatives, made with color separation filters, which Prokudin-Gorskii used to make color prints and lantern slides; and 12 albums of sepia-tone prints, made from the glass negatives, which Prokudin-Gorskii compiled as a record of his travels and studies. The Library of Congress purchased the glass plate negatives and the albums from the Prokudin-Gorskii family in 1948. In 2004, the Library of Congress had digital color composites made from all the surviving glass negatives using a software algorithm to automatically align the color components. As with most historical photographs, title and subject identifications are corrected and enhanced through new research. Current information on the collection is at http://www.loc.gov/pictures/collection/prok/.
Last updated: September 23, 2016