Dome of the Namazga Mosque. Samarkand
Shown here is the Namazga Mosque, located on the southern outskirts of Samarkand. Built as early as the 11th century in another location, the mosque was rebuilt in the 1630s by Nadir Divan-Begi. Its name refers to a form of ritual worship in Islam—Namaz (in Persian), or Salah (in Arabic). The mosque was dedicated to the Eid al-Fitr holiday, observed at the end of the Ramadan fast. The main facade consists of an arcade centered on a large iwan (entrance arch) leading to the main structure. The mosque culminates in a dome supported by a high cylinder. The photograph shows modest polychrome tile decoration on the facade and the cylinder. At the top of the dome is a stork’s nest. The image is by Russian photographer Sergei Mikhailovich Prokudin-Gorskii (1863–1944), who used a special color photography process to create a visual record of the Russian Empire in the early 20th century. Some of Prokudin-Gorskii’s photographs date from about 1905, but the bulk of his work is from between 1909 and 1915, when, with the support of Tsar Nicholas II and the Ministry of Transportation, he undertook extended trips through many different parts of the empire. Prokudin-Gorskii was particularly interested in recently acquired territories of the Russian Empire such as Turkestan (present-day Uzbekistan and neighboring states), which he visited on a number of occasions, including a trip in January 1907 that focused on the ancient city of Samarkand.
Title in Original Language
Купол мечети Намазга. Самарканд
Type of Item
Glass negative (presented as a digital color composite)
- Prokudin-Gorskii’s photographic work survives primarily in two forms: 1,901 black-and-white triple-frame glass plate negatives, made with color separation filters, which Prokudin-Gorskii used to make color prints and lantern slides; and 12 albums of sepia-tone prints, made from the glass negatives, which Prokudin-Gorskii compiled as a record of his travels and studies. The Library of Congress purchased the glass plate negatives and the albums from the Prokudin-Gorskii family in 1948. In 2004, the Library of Congress had digital color composites made from all the surviving glass negatives using a software algorithm to automatically align the color components. As with most historical photographs, title and subject identifications are corrected and enhanced through new research. Current information on the collection is at http://www.loc.gov/pictures/collection/prok/.
Last updated: September 30, 2016