Venerable Irinarkh's Cell in the Borisoglebskii Monastery. Borisoglebsk
In 1911, Russian photographer Sergei Mikhailovich Prokudin-Gorskii (1863–1944) photographed widely in Yaroslavl province, including at the Monastery of Saint Boris and Gleb at Borisoglebskii. Founded in 1363 with the blessing of Saint Sergius of Radonezh (1314–92), the avatar of Muscovite monasticism, the monastery was favored by Muscovy’s rulers, including Tsars Ivan III (the Great) (1440–1505), Vasilii III (1479–1533) and Ivan IV (the Terrible) (1530–84). It is associated with the memory of Saint Irinarkh of Rostov (1547–1616), a legendary ascetic who incarcerated himself in a cell within the monastery’s east wall and tirelessly supported the Russian struggle against foreign intervention during the Time of Troubles in the early 17th century. After his death in January 1616, the place of his cell became a shrine and was marked by a modest brick structure, seen here under the boughs of a large birch tree. Above the portal is a depiction of Irinarkh, who is venerated among the Rostov saints. At the beginning of the 20th century, Prokudin-Gorskii used a special color photography process to create a visual record of the Russian Empire on the eve of the Russian Revolution. Some of Prokudin-Gorskii’s photographs date from about 1905, but the bulk of his work is from between 1909 and 1915, when, with the support of Tsar Nicholas II and the Ministry of Transportation, he undertook extended trips through many different parts of the empire.
Title in Original Language
Келья Пр. Иринарха в Борисоглебском мон. Борисоглебск
Type of Item
Glass negative (presented as a digital color composite)
- Prokudin-Gorskii’s photographic work survives primarily in two forms: 1,901 black-and-white triple-frame glass plate negatives, made with color separation filters, which Prokudin-Gorskii used to make color prints and lantern slides; and 12 albums of sepia-tone prints, made from the glass negatives, which Prokudin-Gorskii compiled as a record of his travels and studies. The Library of Congress purchased the glass plate negatives and the albums from the Prokudin-Gorskii family in 1948. In 2004, the Library of Congress had digital color composites made from all the surviving glass negatives using a software algorithm to automatically align the color components. As with most historical photographs, title and subject identifications are corrected and enhanced through new research. Current information on the collection is at http://www.loc.gov/pictures/collection/prok/.
Last updated: October 24, 2017