Cross with Which the Venerable Irinarkh Blessed Minin and Pozharskii for Battle. Borisoglebsk
In 1911, Russian photographer Sergei Mikhailovich Prokudin-Gorskii (1863–1944) photographed widely in Yaroslavl province, including at the Monastery of Saints Boris and Gleb at Borisoglebskii. Founded in 1363 with the blessing of Saint Sergius of Radonezh (1314–92), the avatar of Muscovite monasticism, the monastery was favored by Muscovy’s rulers, including Tsars Ivan III (the Great) (1440–1505), Vasilii III (1479–1533) and Ivan IV (the Terrible) (1530–84). It is also associated with the memory of Saint Irinarkh of Rostov (1547–1616), a venerated ascetic who incarcerated himself in a cell within the monastery’s east wall and supported the Russian struggle against foreign intervention during the Time of Troubles in the early 17th century. Seen here from the Cathedral of Saints Boris and Gleb is the crucifix with which Irinarkh in 1612 blessed Kuzma Minin (died 1616) and Prince Dmitrii Pozharskii (1578–1642), leaders of the national army that expelled Polish forces from Moscow. The following year Mikhail Romanov (1596–1645) was proclaimed tsar, establishing the Romanov Dynasty. At the beginning of the 20th century, Prokudin-Gorskii used a special color photography process to create a visual record of the Russian Empire on the eve of the Russian Revolution. Some of Prokudin-Gorskii’s photographs date from about 1905, but the bulk of his work is from between 1909 and 1915, when, with the support of Tsar Nicholas II and the Ministry of Transportation, he undertook extended trips through many different parts of the empire.
Title in Original Language
Крест, которым Пр. Иринарх благословил Минина и Пожарскаго на битву. Борисоглебск
Type of Item
Glass negative (presented as a digital color composite)
- Prokudin-Gorskii’s photographic work survives primarily in two forms: 1,901 black-and-white triple-frame glass plate negatives, made with color separation filters, which Prokudin-Gorskii used to make color prints and lantern slides; and 12 albums of sepia-tone prints, made from the glass negatives, which Prokudin-Gorskii compiled as a record of his travels and studies. The Library of Congress purchased the glass plate negatives and the albums from the Prokudin-Gorskii family in 1948. In 2004, the Library of Congress had digital color composites made from all the surviving glass negatives using a software algorithm to automatically align the color components. As with most historical photographs, title and subject identifications are corrected and enhanced through new research. Current information on the collection is at http://www.loc.gov/pictures/collection/prok/.
Last updated: October 24, 2017