Detail of the Entrance to the Borisoglebskii Monastery. Borisoglebsk


The Monastery of Saints Boris and Gleb at Borisoglebsky is located in Yaroslavl Province. Founded in 1363 with the blessing of Saint Sergius of Radonezh, the guiding light of Muscovite monasticism, the monastery was much favored by Muscovy’s rulers, including Tsars Ivan III, Vasilii III, and Ivan IV (the Terrible). In the late 17th century a building campaign supported by Jonah Sysoevich, Metropolitan of Rostov, included the expansion of its brick walls. Seen here are the gates in the north wall, with flanking chapels and round towers. The decorative details, including window surrounds and girki (pendants) within the gates, are outlined in red. Visible at the top is the lower part of the north facade of the gate Church of the Purification. The ornamental emphasis is typical of 17th-century Russian architecture. The image is by Russian photographer Sergei Mikhailovich Prokudin-Gorskii (1863–1944), who used a special color photography process to create a visual record of the Russian Empire in the early 20th century. Some of Prokudin-Gorskii’s photographs date from about 1905, but the bulk of his work is from between 1909 and 1915, when, with the support of Tsar Nicholas II and the Ministry of Transportation, he undertook extended trips through many parts of the empire.

Date Created

Subject Date

Title in Original Language

Деталь входа в Борисоглебский монастырь. Борисоглебск

Type of Item

Physical Description

Glass negative (presented as a digital color composite)


  • Prokudin-Gorskii’s photographic work survives primarily in two forms: 1,901 black-and-white triple-frame glass plate negatives, made with color separation filters, which Prokudin-Gorskii used to make color prints and lantern slides; and 12 albums of sepia-tone prints, made from the glass negatives, which Prokudin-Gorskii compiled as a record of his travels and studies. The Library of Congress purchased the glass plate negatives and the albums from the Prokudin-Gorskii family in 1948. In 2004, the Library of Congress had digital color composites made from all the surviving glass negatives using a software algorithm to automatically align the color components. As with most historical photographs, title and subject identifications are corrected and enhanced through new research. Current information on the collection is at

Last updated: September 23, 2016