Towers and Wall of the Borisoglebskii Monastery. Borisoglebsk
This 1911 photograph of the Monastery of Saints Boris and Gleb at Borisoglebskii, in Yaroslavl Province, shows the east wall, with square towers in the middle and polygonal towers at the corners. Opposite the massive brick walls are the typical wooden houses of a provincial town, with rolling forested hills in the background. Founded in 1363 with the blessing of Saint Sergius of Radonezh, the guiding light of Muscovite monasticism, the monastery was much favored by the rulers of Muscovy, including Tsars Ivan III, Vasilii III, and Ivan IV (the Terrible). In the early 17th century, the monastery urged resistance to occupying Polish forces during the dynastic interregnum known as the Time of Troubles. In the late 17th century a building campaign supported by Metropolitan Jonah Sysoevich of Rostov included the expansion of its brick walls. The image is by Russian photographer Sergei Mikhailovich Prokudin-Gorskii (1863–1944), who used a special color photography process to create a visual record of the Russian Empire in the early 20th century. Some of Prokudin-Gorskii’s photographs date from about 1905, but the bulk of his work is from between 1909 and 1915, when, with the support of Tsar Nicholas II and the Ministry of Transportation, he undertook extended trips through many parts of the empire.
Title in Original Language
Башни и стена Борисоглебскаго монастыря. Борисоглебск
Type of Item
Glass negative (presented as a digital color composite)
- Prokudin-Gorskii’s photographic work survives primarily in two forms: 1,901 black-and-white triple-frame glass plate negatives, made with color separation filters, which Prokudin-Gorskii used to make color prints and lantern slides; and 12 albums of sepia-tone prints, made from the glass negatives, which Prokudin-Gorskii compiled as a record of his travels and studies. The Library of Congress purchased the glass plate negatives and the albums from the Prokudin-Gorskii family in 1948. In 2004, the Library of Congress had digital color composites made from all the surviving glass negatives using a software algorithm to automatically align the color components. As with most historical photographs, title and subject identifications are corrected and enhanced through new research. Current information on the collection is at http://www.loc.gov/pictures/collection/prok/.
Last updated: September 23, 2016