Cathedral of Metropolitan Iona, of Old Construction. Near Rostov Velikii. Our Savior-Iakovlevskii Monastery
In 1911, Russian photographer Sergei Mikhailovich Prokudin-Gorskii (1863–1944) visited the town of Rostov the Great, located some 210 kilometers northeast of Moscow, where he photographed the Savior-Saint James (Iakovlev) Saint Dimitrii Monastery, founded in 1389 by Bishop Iakov of Rostov (died 1392) and enlarged by Metropolitan Jonah Sysoevich (circa 1607–90) in the 17th century. This view shows the west façade of the Cathedral of the Conception of Saint Anne, built in 1686 and originally dedicated to the Trinity. In 1725, a Chapel of Saint Anne was added to the north façade. In 1754, the main altar was dedicated to Saint Anne, and the north altar was dedicated to the founder, Bishop Iakov, whose remains were buried here. In 1709, Metropolitan Dimitrii of Rostov (1651–1709) was buried in the church. In 1752, the iron floor collapsed, and during the repairs, Metropolitan Dimitrii’s remains were found and elevated. He was canonized by the church in 1757. In 1836, a narthex was added to the west front with a mixture of neoclassical and Gothic Revival elements. The fresco on the pediment depicts the Old Testament Trinity. At the beginning of the 20th century, Prokudin-Gorskii used a special color photography process to create a visual record of the Russian Empire on the eve of the Russian Revolution. Some of Prokudin-Gorskii’s photographs date from about 1905, but the bulk of his work is from between 1909 and 1915, when, with the support of Tsar Nicholas II and the Ministry of Transportation, he undertook extended trips through many different parts of the empire.
Title in Original Language
Собор древней постройки Митрополита Ионы. Близ Ростова Великаго. Спасо-Яковлевский монастырь
Type of Item
Glass negative (presented as a digital color composite)
- Prokudin-Gorskii’s photographic work survives primarily in two forms: 1,901 black-and-white triple-frame glass plate negatives, made with color separation filters, which Prokudin-Gorskii used to make color prints and lantern slides; and 12 albums of sepia-tone prints, made from the glass negatives, which Prokudin-Gorskii compiled as a record of his travels and studies. The Library of Congress purchased the glass plate negatives and the albums from the Prokudin-Gorskii family in 1948. In 2004, the Library of Congress had digital color composites made from all the surviving glass negatives using a software algorithm to automatically align the color components. As with most historical photographs, title and subject identifications are corrected and enhanced through new research. Current information on the collection is at http://www.loc.gov/pictures/collection/prok/.
Last updated: September 21, 2017