Sepulchre of the Venerable Dimitrii Rostovskii with Relics. Near Rostov Velikii. Our Savior-Iakovlevskii Monastery
In 1911, Russian photographer Sergei Mikhailovich Prokudin-Gorskii (1863–1944) visited the town of Rostov the Great, located some 210 kilometers northeast of Moscow, where he took many photographs of the Savior-Saint James (Iakovlev) Saint Dimitrii Monastery. Seen here in the southeast corner of the monastery’s Cathedral of Saint Dimitrii is an elaborate silver casket containing relics of Saint Dimitrii, Metropolitan of Rostov (1651–1709). The casket was made at the command of Empress Elizabeth Petrovna (1709–1762) in 1757 after the discovery of the prelate’s remains in the adjacent Cathedral of the Conception of Saint Anne. At the end of the 18th century, Count Nikolai P. Sheremetev (1751–1809) commissioned the Saint Dimitrii Cathedral (1794–1802) to contain the relics, but they remained in the Saint Anne Cathedral until 1909, when it was decided that the relics would be displayed in the Saint Dimitrii Cathedral during the summer (from May 25 to October 28). In the background are faux marble pilasters characteristic of the high Neoclassical style. At the beginning of the 20th century, Prokudin-Gorskii used a special color photography process to create a visual record of the Russian Empire on the eve of the Russian Revolution. Some of Prokudin-Gorskii’s photographs date from about 1905, but the bulk of his work is from between 1909 and 1915, when, with the support of Tsar Nicholas II and the Ministry of Transportation, he undertook extended trips through many different parts of the empire.
Title in Original Language
Рака Преподобнаго Димитрия Ростовскаго с мощами. Близ Ростова Великаго. Спасо-Яковлевский монастырь
Type of Item
Glass negative (presented as a digital color composite)
- Prokudin-Gorskii’s photographic work survives primarily in two forms: 1,901 black-and-white triple-frame glass plate negatives, made with color separation filters, which Prokudin-Gorskii used to make color prints and lantern slides; and 12 albums of sepia-tone prints, made from the glass negatives, which Prokudin-Gorskii compiled as a record of his travels and studies. The Library of Congress purchased the glass plate negatives and the albums from the Prokudin-Gorskii family in 1948. In 2004, the Library of Congress had digital color composites made from all the surviving glass negatives using a software algorithm to automatically align the color components. As with most historical photographs, title and subject identifications are corrected and enhanced through new research. Current information on the collection is at http://www.loc.gov/pictures/collection/prok/.
Last updated: September 21, 2017